Re: Download stats

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
At 10:09 PM 10/24/2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:29:15PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

Oh, OK.  That answer is also no.  Are you sensing a pattern here? ;-)
I'm sensing a certain vague menace; an underlying meanness, yes.

Excellent.  Then I'm not being too subtle. ;-)
Well I'm feeling charitable, so he goes for the reason why this isn't possible...

Considering that no-one is allowed to install off of the primary server, mirrors must be used instead. I haven't counted, but I'd say we have at least 20 different sites available and current at sometime or another. Can you imagine the trouble of asking the admin of each of those sites to keep track of statistics? It's hard enough trying to keep rcn.net straight wrt to proper mirroring =)! Not to mention the extreme paranoia which rages inside folk of this type. They're the people bitching on the LKML because their precious LSM and LIDS have yet to be merged. Highly doubtful that they'd be at all willing to run a foreign script on their machine, no matter how benign it may seem. Hope that explains it to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
Nicholas