Re: new package offering: zsh

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 06:02:35PM -0700, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> >On 23 May 2002 cygwin-apps-digest-help@cygwin.com wrote:
> >There were some messages/questions that were only on the list (I get
> >the digest version), so I appologize for not responding more promptly.
> >I did want to respond to people and get a final resolution on zsh.
>
> If you are going to be a maintainer, I'd request that you subscribe to
> the non-digest version of cygwin-apps.  The traffic is really not that
> great.
>
> Hmm.  We should make this a requirement in the package maintainer's
> guide.

The thing I like about digests is it bundles list mail together and makes
it easier to follow a topic.  But, if you feel maintainer's should be on
the regular list for more expedient responses, I guess I can deal with
that.  Mind you, the Cygwin Package Contributors Guide does say that
subscribing to digest is ok.

> >>From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
> >>
> >>zsh has historically had pretty strong cygwin support so I don't think
> >>this will be an issue.
> >>
> >>I would be thrilled to have this in the distribution.  I've been using
> >>my own version of zsh for years and have been meaning to submit it
> >>as a package.  I even went as far as incorporating it into mknetrel.
> >>
> >>I'd be happy to have some other victi, er, person to deal with the
> >>inevitable questions, though.
> >
> >I'm willing to handle issues with zsh, and in particular, this port of
> >zsh.  As I've said, I really enjoy hacking on it, and I feel it's a shell
> >worth of inclusion in Cygwin.  Why else would I have offered it?
>
> Huh?  You are apparently translating something that I said into some
> kind of challenge.  Let me summarize my position:

No, no.  No challenge implied.  I was just speaking to the fact that I'm
devoted enough [to zsh] to want to offer the package and be a maintainer.
If you took it as a challenge, then please forgive me.

> "I love zsh.  I was going to offer zsh as a cygwin package but I'm happy
> to have someone else do it".
>
> I didn't infer that you weren't willing to support it and I didn't
> assume that you'd just posted this with no intention of offering it
> as a package.
>
> (And, no, Chuck, I don't need a 10 paragraph explanation of where you
> think the misinterpretation lies, here)

Good, good, then we're on the same wavelength :)

> >>One minor question: isn't there a libncurses requirement for zsh?
> >>And maybe a libintl-1?
> >
> >Funny you should mention that.  Actually, only the Zle modules cares
> >about screen attributes and control, and it is it's own terminal manager
> >(using termio for the line control).  It does link with termcap, but it's
> >a static link, so no runtime needed, really.  Also, there doesn't appear
> >to be a need for libintl (at least I didn't see it in any of the links).
>
> If it's using termcap then it needs a termcap dependency for
> /etc/termcap.

(D'oh!)  Ok, I've corrected the setup.hint to have a depenency on the
termcap package.

> >Now, as to the use of O_BINARY.  Is it the general concensus that this
> >change should be investigated before the package will be accepted or
> >would people like to give it a try while I experiment with it?
>
> IMO, if you are going to be actively experimenting, you might as well
> release this and see what happens.

Actually, I've already experimented with this and found O_BINARY doesn't
really solve the problem.  I've hacked a more "correct" fix that does
handle the problem, though.  Updates are on my website.

Ok, so, the package is ready for upload:

http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/zsh/setup.hint
http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/zsh/zsh-4.0.4-1.tar.bz2
http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/zsh/zsh-4.0.4-1-src.tar.bz2
http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html

Um, do I need to send a specific email to Robert or will he upload it by
virtue of reading this on the list?

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>