Re: more and base

Robert Collins wrote:

 >>> Can we remove more from base?
 >>>
 >> More is what? 3k? I'd love to have had it in the base install  when
 >>  I installed my cygwin -
 >>

 > I support having a pager in the default install (which !=
 > base!!!!!!!)

Base: cygwin is non-functional and completely broken(*) unless each and
every package in Base is installed.

'more' is not a requirement for a functioning cygwin installation.
Therefore it shouldn't go in Base.  (Yes, there are a few other packages
in Base that probably don't belong there, but that's an issue for
another day).

Now, a Base-only cygwin installation may be *useless* in the sense that
"sure, cygwin works -- but I can't do anything useful with it except mv
files around, unless X Y and Z packages, which are not in Base, are
installed."  But useless is not the same as non-functional.

(*) Yes, I know it's possible to configure certain specialized tasks
with only (say) cygwin, sshd, and login (use c:\winnt\cmd.exe as the
shell) -- but that's beyond the scope of the "normal" cygwin installation.

 >> I want the basic development  environment too - since what use is
 >> the environment without gcc?
 >>

 > Lots. Squid. Apache. SSH. CVS. None of these require gcc.

Web development.  perl programming.  Python programming.  Document
creation (tex/xfig).

--Chuck