Re: Keeping base, adding standard.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:09:16PM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Friday 22 Mar 02, Christopher Faylor writes:
>> Now that we have clickable categories, I think we should consider not
>> making "Base" the default installation, defaulting to something like
>> "Standard" instead.
>>
>> Standard would include things like:
>>
>> base +
>> bzip2
>> bash
>> clear
>> tcsh
>> less
>> vim
>> telnet
>> ssh
>> cygrunsrv
>> mutt
>> perl?
>> python?
>> shutdown?
>> ssmtp
>> unzip
>> zip
>>
>> The rationale is that people can still select a minimal install with
>> base but still choose a usable setup with Standard.
>
>Those all look good but I would definitely exclude perl and python
>from this list.  They are both quite large.

The intent isn't for this to be minimal.  It's for the Standard category
to contain the packages that most people are going to want.  There are
advanatages to including perl or python in a standard package, I think.
Probably more perl than python but, since I'm not a python user, I don't
know for sure.

cgf