Re: pager in default install

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:12:41AM -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>--- Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:
>> We've been round this. Base is for _base_ stuff only. Not 'useful'. Not
>> 'nice'. Base. Stuff without which the shell won't initialize, and users
>> can't do anything.
>>
>I think the "users can't do anything" part is pretty subjective. I guess
>I can understand not wanting to add anything new to base right now, but
>why are 'diff', 'sed', 'which' in base right now? Because there was a
>(arbitrary) list of packages for a "minimal" install:
>
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-02/msg01111.html
>
>(BTW, the list includes 'less' but that was left out for some reason.)

That's because I didn't use this list.  I had another criteria which,
if you are looking in the email archives, you should be able to see
mentioned a few times.  I used the 'base' category from debian.  Hopefully
we haven't drifted from that too much.

I don't know why 'which' is in the 'base' category since I can't find it
in debian.  That is probably a mistake.

I can't find 'more' in debian, either but if 'less' isn't in base, then
obviously 'more' shouldn't be either.

cgf