Re: Setup

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:27:26PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>>1) If I have a group of packages installed and I select the Test option
>>to see what packages are available for in Test should all the packages
>>I have installed that do not have a Test Version show Uninstall or
>>should they should keep??  It is my contention that thy should show
>>keep and not uninstall - unless I explicitly request uninstall.
>
>I have emailed trying to start a discussion on this at least twice.  My
>contention is that this is a factor for setup.ini to take care of, not
>setup.exe.  It's easier to add entries than have complex logic for
>removing them when they aren't appropriate.

If the question is "Should 'upset' add a dummy Test entry for every case
where there is no such thing?" then the answer, IMO, is no.  I think the
same applies for the case where an initial release of a product is
marked test.  Setting up a dummy "Current" which is the same as "Test"
would defeat the purpose of "Test".

I think that the bottom line is that setup.exe should NEVER default to
Uninstall.  Uninstall should only be on when the user specifically selects
it.  Anything else is, IMO, surprising and dangerous.

cgf