Re: ITP: libtool-devel, libtool-stable, libtool (wrappers)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>

> >>Correct -- it does work from R to L.  If we cannot depend on this
> >>behavior, then we must rename the following packages:
> >>

> > Which is one of the implications of the thread where you said
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-01/msg00208.html.
>

> Well, consider it a thinko on my part.  I was considering
> "foo-alphabetic-version-release" different from
> "foo-numeric-version-release" -- but of course, version can have
> alphabetic characters in it, and my bzip example had numerals in the
> "extra" field.
>
> So both cases really just boil down to: there are four pegs and only
> three slots.

> I think this is a social problem, not a software engineering problem.
> Either way you are imposing a requirement on packagers:

Uh-huh :}.

> I think we are already doing (a) -- so why not just make that policy,
> and go with it...and force upset/setup to obey.

The difference between a and b being that a allows
package-long-description-ver-rel.tar.gz  whereas b requires
package-ver-rel.tar.gz ?
Frankly I'd prefer b (scales better), and I thought we'd made that
policy already (but http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html#naming doesn't
cover this). Interesting to note that the next section specifies that
the version _must_ start with a digit, which leads to the tetex
mis-parsing you highlit below.

.
> I don't really see a difference between tetex-beta and tetex_beta.
> Either is fine with me (actually, I believe it should be just 'tetex'.
> Doesn't the fact that it has a version number of 20001218 indicate
that
> the source was taken from CVS and is therefore, by definition,
"beta"?)

AH yes - thus showcasing the point at hand:
"tetex" - "beta-20001218" - "cygver" is parsed as
"tetex-beta" - "20001218" - "cygver"!

However my point about -/_ was on readability, not just tetex!

Rob