Re: symlinks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 03:44:57PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

(It
> >was aiming to reduce that overhead that caused my question.
>
> AFAIK, it isn't creating cygwin links.  It's creating Windows lnk
files,
> isn't it?

I had a look at Corinnna's .lnk code in cygwin, and they "ain't that
different".

> >>Or, maybe this will become a non-issue when/if setup.exe is split in
> >>two since we'll be able to use cygwin tar at that point.  >
> >
> >Not really, because the inital bootstrap may well have shortcuts in
it.

> If you say so.  I don't see why it would.  That would seem to be
counter
> to the reason for splitting up setup.exe.  I thought that you'd want
> to have all of the cygwin intelligence in the second half.

Some examples I'd be hesitant to put statically into setup.exe
IPC/FIFO's/mmaps.
Running a setup equivalent from the command line in a console.
Linking to a db library dynamically.

However, setup.exe, even a minimal bootstrapping version, cannot
guarantee that no boot strap package will have sym or hardlinks. Take
cygwin for instance - libc.a is a link to libcygwin.a. That package is a
requirement to bootstrap :].

> So, I guess I don't have an opinion on this.  I should point out that
> the "new" links will actually work better on remote shares so maybe
> that's enough of an argument for them.
>
> I'd like to get Corinna's opinion on this, though.

Absolutely. I'm really impartial on this change.

Rob