Re: setup.exe suggestion - link announcements to releases

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:31:04PM +0300, egor duda wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Monday, 05 November, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:
>
>CF> After reading Corinna's reply to a cygwin mailing list message, it
>CF> occurred to me that if the releases that people see in setup.exe could
>CF> somehow be linked to the announcements, we could cut down on the amount
>CF> of email from people who don't check or don't know how to check on these
>CF> things.
>
>CF> It could be as simple as adding a "check release announcement" which
>CF> just did starts a browser with a cygwin-announce search term.
>
>wouldn't we better include important info about updating in the
>package itself, or along with it?

The problem is that people don't actually think to read the documentation.
Putting something in their faces during setup.exe would actually allow them
to decide whether they want to update or not.

One other thing that I was going to add to setup.exe at some point was a
"The following documentation has been updated:"
screen, just before exiting.  And, maybe offer the option to open a console
window with less running to allow the user to page through the docs.

cgf