Re: GCC-3 additions - related question

 --- Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote: >
> [...]

I've built STLPort, Bench++ (Stepanov benchmarking suite) and some of the
Boost package with mingw 2.95.3 and gcc's ability to build template code is
not a problem compared with what I've read for other windows compilers.
The issue is with efficiency.  Efficiency of writing generic code may be
enhanced by templates.  But...  Debugging template code is a real pain  --
stange errors with instantiatiation of templates have to be tracked through
a maze of headers.  And there is a runtime performance hit.  I don't have
the Bench++ results handy but there was a significant penalty for using
generic template code compared to C code.   I expect gcc-3.0 to be better,
at least as far as speed of compiled code. Speed of compilation, however,
is a problem when your testing.

I would agree with Corinna.

Danny

> Apparently Corinna had some reservations (Corinna - Are you still
> catching up on mail? :})...
>
> Rob

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.