Re: NCurses-5.0

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> > This should probably go into latest.  I don't suppose you want to be
> > the ncurses maintainer?
> >

> I was hoping for that.  Charles Wilson is already distributing ncurses and
> since he's already moving things in to maintain would probably be the one to
> maintain it.  I received a personal note from him, thanking me for the install
> fix.

I have no objections to maintaining it, but there are a few issues to
work out first. I think it has external dependencies (gettext? readline?
or was it the other way around...) and I'd like those to be dll-based
for easy upgradability. Then there's that whole .dll.a versus _s.a
issue. And binutils, gcc, ...

OTOH, I can go ahead and release a basic ncurses (static only) right
away using Earnie's patches, and then update & fix later. I just fear
that will lead to a bunch of hard-to-upgrade packages being released
that depend on ncurses, and are statically linked to this 'old' version.

Also, I seem to remember some discussion about 'SIGWINCH' on the list;
should --enable-sigwinch be used when configuring ncurses? Also, I
assume that --enable-symlinks should be used since otherwise, tic will
try to use hardlinks which aren't supported.

>I think he also has it building as a dll.

Not yet, but that's where I want to go with it. The packages on which
ncurses depends (if any) need to be dll-ized first, though.

--Chuck