This is the mail archive of the cygwin-announce mailing list for the Cygwin project.

New: rakudo-star-201007-1, Updated: rakudo-201007_47-1 (aka perl6)

rakudo-star on cygwin is parrot plus rakudo (a perl6 implemention on parrot) plus some new perl6 libraries, docs and libraries and blizkost, a perl5 parrot language which embeds libperl5. Contrary to the upstream
rakudo-star release for the masses, this does not include the external
parrot or rakudo releases. The external rakudo releases in the future will match the rakudo star release. That's why this rakudo has the version 201007_47, not just 201007, because it's the one from rakudo-star

* first package, using external parrot, and an updated rakudo 2010.07-47
* some blizkost and make install patches (already applied upstream)
* some testing hacks

UPSTREAM ANNOUNCE

On behalf of the Rakudo and Perl 6 development teams, I'm happy to
announce the July 2010 release of "Rakudo Star", a useful and usable
distribution of Perl 6.  The tarball for the July 2010 release is
available from <http://github.com/rakudo/star/downloads>.

Rakudo Star is aimed at "early adopters" of Perl 6.  We know that
it still has some bugs, it is far slower than it ought to be, and
there are some advanced pieces of the Perl 6 language specification
that aren't implemented yet.  But Rakudo Perl 6 in its current form
is also proving to be viable (and fun) for developing applications
and exploring a great new language.  These "Star" releases are
intended to make Perl 6 more widely available to programmers, grow
the Perl 6 codebase, and gain additional end-user feedback about the
Perl 6 language and Rakudo's implementation of it.

In the Perl 6 world, we make a distinction between the language
("Perl 6") and specific implementations of the language such as
"Rakudo Perl".  "Rakudo Star" is a distribution that includes
release #31 of the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler [1], version 2.6.0 of
the Parrot Virtual Machine [2], and various modules, documentation,
and other resources collected from the Perl 6 community.  We
plan to make Rakudo Star releases on a monthly schedule, with
occasional special releases in response to important bugfixes or
changes.
--
Reini Urban

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Once you've downloaded setup.exe, run it and select "Editors"
or "Text" and then click on the appropriate fields until the above
announced version numbers appear if they are not displayed already.

If your mirror doesn't yet have the latest version of this package after
24 hours, you can either continue to wait for that site to be updated or
you can try to find another mirror.

Please send questions or comments to the Cygwin mailing list at:
cygwin@cygwin.com

If you want to subscribe go to:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/

I would appreciate if you would use this mailing list rather than
emailing me directly.  This includes ideas and comments about the setup
utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.