Updated: gettext-0.10.40-1

gettext is the GNU package which provides 'national language support'
for other programs. It includes a number of utility programs.

CHANGES (since gettext-0.10.38-2)

o updated to gettext-0.10.40 release
o modified the build process so that the auto-import/auto-export
   capabilities of cygwin's binutils are used.  This means that there
   is no need for special -DSTATIC defines when linking statically.
   Thus, libintl.h is the "same" for both static and dynamic builds
o This means that our libintl.h file is the same as the default
   version; there are no cygwin-specific changes.  Hopefully, this will
   eliminate the problems folks have run into when building packages
   that include their own copy of the gettext source code.
o The dll is now named according the libtool method, in preparation
   for a fully libtool-driven build.  While the new dll (cygintl-1.dll)
   is backward compatible with the old one (cygintl.dll), the name
   change means we have to split out the DLL from this package:
o gettext now has two binary packages:
     gettext-0.10.40-1   and   libintl1-0.10.40-1
   the 'gettext' one provides everything but the new dll
   the 'libintl1' one provides only the new dll itself
o For backwards compatibility, we also provide
     libintl-0.10.38-3
   which contains only the old dll

INSTALLATION:

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link
on the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to
your system.  Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick
up 'gettext' from the 'Libs' category.  You may need to
click the "Full" button if it doesn't show up.  You might want to
make sure you update/install ALL of the following three packages:
   gettext-0.10.40-1
   libintl1-0.10.40-1
   libintl-0.10.38-3

Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
allowed due to bandwidth limitations.  This means that you will need
to find a mirror which has this update.

In the US, ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
is a reliable high bandwidth connection.

In Japan, ftp://ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp/pub/gnu/gnu-win32/ is already
updated.

In DK, http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/cygwin/ is usually up-to-date.

If one of the above doesn't have the latest version of this package
you can either wait for the site to be updated or find another
mirror.

Please  send questions or comments to the Cygwin mailing list at:
http://cygwin.com/lists.html I would appreciate if you would use
this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.  This includes
ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.

                *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

To unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at the
email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

NOTES:

o Building the package from source requires gcc-2.95.3-5 and
binutils-20001002-1 or later

o The package includes several utilities.  These utilities are
*statically* linked, although this package does include a dynamic lib
(dll) and the associated import lib.  I just didn't link the utilities
dynamically.

o The -src archive contains:
   a) an inner "pristine" source tarball
   b) a cygwin-specific patch
   c) a script to drive the build.
   To rebuild from source, unpack the outer tarball, and run
     'gettext-0.10.40-1.sh all'
   This will unpack the inner archive, apply the patch, configure
   and build with the appropriate flags, as well as create new binary
   and source tarballs, ready for setup.exe-based installation.

o Use auto-import/export features to build/linkto the DLL.  Therefore,
   there is no more need for -DGETTEXT_STATIC and whatnot.  The
   following packages (that I maintain) have eliminated the
   ugly _STATIC defines:
      gettext
      ncurses
   The following still require them:
      zlib  libpng   tiff   jpeg   jbigkit   gdbm
      bzlib (not maintained by me)

-- Chuck