Re: [crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng] bc9ed3: Adds Raspberry Pi 3 sample config

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 4:45 AM, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 2, 2016, at 10:23 PM, Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Good to know it's not just me being an idiot!  I was hoping to use a
>> toolchain generated with ct-ng to build a 64-bit root file-system using
>> buildroot or just using the toolchain with cross-LFS.
>
> Indeed! Thatâs the spirit! :)
>

>> I will continue to tinker and at the same time wait to see if there are
>> changes to this sample.
>
> There may only be one change to the sample, one line added, but the real change will happen in two files (maybe 3). And really, they arenât big changes.
>

>> It's true that at the moment there are only 32-bit images available.  I
>> expect ArchARM to come up with a 64-bit image soon enough though.
>
> Indeed, but someone has to push the edge and give it a go?
>
> I need to get myself a PI3. I have to wait till the 15th to order mine, but that doesnât mean I canât start getting ct-ng there. I know there are others out there waiting for aarch64 support, so letâs do this.
>

>> Mike
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Bryan

Well, I feel like I totally missed the mark yesterday. I didnât realize RPI3 was a 64-bit cpu, and I assumed ct-ng did not have aarch64 support. 0/2â

On the plus side, I have something to test:
https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/pull/362

Now, the hard part. You canât run 64-bit binaries on 32-bit.
Also, Iâm not sure if you can boot aarch64 from a 32-bit bootloader?
So you may have to start with making u-boot?

I wish I had an RPI3, so I could help with that, but for now Iâll just have to be patient and wait to hear your progress. If you do make progress, and need help, post a git repo somewhere and Iâll try to help if I can.

-Bryan