Github tags (was Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging)

On 02/24/2016 04:41 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Thomas,
>
>> On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Chris Packham,
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:55:07 +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
>>
>>> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
>>> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
>>> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>>
>> That's because Bryan uses "crosstool-ng-X.Y.Z" as tag names, so when
>> github generates tarballs of the form <projectname>-<tagname> you get
>> two times the crosstool-ng part. The tags should be named just X.Y.Z.
>
> Technically, I am following the same convention that Yann E. MORIN did
> his tags, so ’s/Bryan/Yann/g’, but you are correct.
> On the other hand, the archive release that github has does not have
> bootstrap ran, and is not GPG signed, therefore I recommend getting the
> archive from the crosstool-ng.org link instead… as I’ve already mentioned.

I thought there was a way to upload to github for a particular release.
Which effectively overrides the automatic tarballs generated from the
tags. Precisely to allow bootstrapping, signing etc.

A quick read through the github docs yielded
https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/releases/#upload-a-release-asset
but I'm not sure if that's quite way to go about it. I might do a bit
more reading and pass on a few links if I find anything relevant.

Either way it'd mean more work for Bryan which I have absolutely no
right to ask him to take on so just saying official releases are on
crosstool-ng.org is more than sufficient.