crosstool using host's /usr/include?

I'm trying to build a cross compiler to build for Linux x86 from a Mac
OS X host. When it gets to the libc_start_files stage, it fails
because files like libintl.h are missing from my host's /usr/include.
Shouldn't crosstool configure it to look for headers in its own
directory so it gets the Linux versions instead of my host? Even after
I tried copying the files from crosstool's sysroot into my host's
/usr/include, it fails for other reasons, such as (possibly due to the
sys/stat.h from host):

rpc_main.c:329:17: error: variable has incomplete type 'struct stat64'

Is there a way to get crosstool to use the Linux headers it downloaded
into its own directory instead of the ones from the host? I've
successfully used crosstool to set up a Linux toolchain for ARM. I'm
wondering if it's getting confused because both the target and host
use the same architecture (x86).