Re: Cross GNU Modula-2 - gm2?

Charles, list,

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Charles Bradshaw
<charles.bradshaw@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I thinking about cross compiling the GNU Modula-2, gm2, targeting for
> raspberry pi arm architecture.
>
> I already have crosstool.ng installed and working. I can cross compile
> C, C++ and of course assembler for the RPI.
>
> During the ct-ng menuconfig I see the option to build "Other languages
> (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)" under "C compiler --->"
>
> I have gm2, but its installation creates its own copy of the GNU tool
> chain including the gm2 front end. The procedure for compiling Modula-2
> source is to set PATH for this copy. I think everything; gcc, cpp, g++,
> c++ etc is present.
>
> Can I tell the install of crosstool.ng to use this path and then set gm2
> in the other languages menuconfig option?
>
> Or is something more subtle required?
>
> The gm2 installed gcc reports version is 4.1.2, apparently version 4.7.2
> is available but currently does not work with gm2.

I think you're saying that you'd like to use CC_CUSTOM_LOCATION
(http://crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/99029fac116b/config/cc/gcc.in#l262).
>From their development, you need to get the latest clone of gcc 4.7
branch (which ended with 4.7.3) and add their stuff in the right spot:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gm2.git/tree/README

I think a better idea, is to create a patch against 4.7.3, and put it
in the patches/gcc/4.7.3 in your local patch directory to make sure
all the requirements and such get selected. But the method above
should work well.

Granted, if you run into problems, YMMV... but it wouldn't hurt to
ping us with your findings/errors. If it works, great! Maybe we can
add support for it!

Cheers,

-Bryan