Re: Alpha Cross compiler

On Mon, 2013-02-11 14:41:29 -0500, Mahshid Sedghi <mahshid.sedghy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I actually replaced the inline assembly code with some c++ atomic
> operations such as "fetch_and_inc", and now I am able to cross compile
> the application for alpha. But when I run the binaries in the guest OS
> using an alpha image, I am getting the following errors:
>
> ./word_count: /lib/libc.so.6.1: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found
> (required by ./word_count)
> ./word_count: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not
> found (required by ./word_count
>
> Even when I use static linking (using -static-libgcc), the problem
> still remains. For some reason, it seems that static linking does not
> work, and the application is trying to access those shared objects at
> runtime, but it is not found in the alpha disk image. Do you have any
> solution for this problem?

Basically, the libc (and its headers) used for compilation needs to be
the same as on the target system, or older. So you should either use
the libc you just built along with the cross-compiler, or use your
target's headers to build with.

For static linking, -static is the most important part. libgcc is
another component handled specifically. To see if a program uses
dynamically linked libs, you can use the `ldd' program to see what's
dynamically linked by the dynamic linker. (Another way is to use
readelf or objdump so peek into the binary.)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:          GDB has a 'break' feature; why doesn't it have 'fix' too?