Re: Static linking impossible on the host system

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 at 12:49, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Thursday 13 September 2012 06:57:30 Christian Kujau wrote:
> > when trying to build a powerpc crosscompiler on this openSUSE 12.1
> > (x86_64) system, "ct-ng build" fails with:
>
> On openSuSE, it seems glibc-devel is not enough, you also need to install
> glibc-devel-static (or something like that).

You were right, thanks! Usually the error message occured pretty much
instantly after starting the build:

$ time ct-ng build
[INFO ]  Performing some trivial sanity checks
[INFO ]  Build started 20120915.233927
[INFO ]  Building environment variables
[ERROR]  Static linking impossible on the host system 'x86_64-build_unknown-linux-gnu'
[00:02] / make: *** [build] Error 1

Once I installed glibc-devel-static on this openSUSE system, the error is
gone and now building continues!

FWIW, I've written myself a little crosstool-NG-Howto [0] and listed
prerequisites for several distros, but apparently I forgot about
glibc-devel-static (resp. glibc-static on a Fedora system).

Thanks again!
Christian.

[0] https://trent.utfs.org/wiki/Crosscompiler
--
BOFH excuse #185:

system consumed all the paper for paging