Re: License text in finished built toolchain?

On 04/21/2012 03:26 PM, Oron Peled wrote:
On Friday, 20 ×April 2012 21:28:26 Michael Eager wrote:
You do *not* need to include licenses in the tool chain installation
tree.  Most distributions do not include licenses with the binaries.

The last statement is wrong. Someone else on this thread already mentioned the /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright files on Debian (and Debian derived distros like Ubuntu). May I add my Fedora: $ find /usr/share/doc -name 'COPYING' | wc -l 1107 (which obviously applies to derived distributions like RHEL/Centos).

Yes, you are correct. Perhaps I should have said that most embedded distributions do not include the licenses with the binaries.

The responsibility for complying with a copyright license (including
providing a copy of it where needed) is on the one who distributes
the copyrighted work. However, it would be a nice service if crosstool-ng
could copy all the license files into the x-toolchain tree under
a well defined common directory (e.g:<datadir>/doc/crosstool-ng/licenses.d)
This would help prospective toolchain packagers.

Not a good idea in an embedded environment where space is limited. This is the target for crosstool-ng, not building Fedora or Debian.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077