Re: libstdc++ configure fail due to -EL option

Zhenqiang, Bryan, Khem, Mike, All,

For now, the original issue is on gcc trunk, and so crosstool-NG is not
yet impacted. Let's revisit the issue after the gcc-4.7 release (4.7 is
not even branched).

On Monday 23 January 2012 23:08:16 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2012 16:08:39 Bryan Hundven wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > LDFLAGS should take the form as needed by the compiler driver.  i.e.
> > > -Wl,-EL.
> >
> > Well, we'd get the same error if we pass -Wl,-EL to ld, where that
> > would fix it for passing to gcc.
>
> yes, but generally speaking, you should not be invoking the linker.
> everything should be going through the compiler driver.

<IMHO mode="rant">
I don't care if everything "should be going through the compiler driver" or
directly through the actual linker.

What I find dubious is to pass the LDFLAGS to the compiler driver. The
LDFLAGS are for the linker. If one wants to use the compiler driver to do
the link, I don't care, but then the LDFLAGS should first be appropriately
munged to be suitable for the compiler driver, and not used as-is.
That's a job to be done in the Makefile.

It's in large parts the fault of gcc (the package) for providing a compiler
_driver_ in the first place. *Either* it does its job, and only its job,
to drive the _compilation_ (and preprocessing), and it is not used for other
phases, such as linking, *or* it also accepts to _fully_ impersonate the
linker. Currently, the gcc compiler driver recognises parts of the linker
flags (eg. -static), but chokes on others (eg. --fatal-warnings), which
makes it useless to effectively be called in-lieu of the linker.

And what's worse, some packages are properly calling the linker 'ld', and
needs LDFLAGS suitable for 'ld', while other packages use the (deffective?)
gcc driver, and need LDFLAGS escaped with -Wl. Which makes it impratical
to use in a homogeneous build system.

That's sad... :-(
</IMHO>

Regards,