Re: [RFC] glibc-2.14 and RPC

On 07/05/2011 03:41 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
Hello All!

The Sun RPC has been obsoleted in glibc-2.14: the SunRPC headers have been
removed. It is now recommended to use the TI-RPC (Transport Independent RPC)
library [1] [2].

'Obsoleted in glibc-2.14' means:
- programs can no longer be compiled, as headers are missing
- already compiled programs can still run, as the libraries are still
   packaged

What this means to crosstool-NG: basically, not much.

In fact, we can look at the big picture, and consider that the RPC are a
non-system feature, and thus need not be implemented by a system library.
It is the responsibility of the user to properly add TI-RPC to its
environment before compiling programs that require RPC. In this situation,
we should do nothing at all.

OTOH, the SunRPC has long been provided by the C library, and people got
used to that situation. A missing RPC lib no longer provided by the system
components might be seen as a big breakage. In this situation, we could
build TI-RPC as part of the toolchain build, for a finite transition period
(say 'n' days, n probably no bigger than 365.25).

But I still did not had  look at TI-RPC, and how nicely it plays with
cross-compilation, what its dependencies are, and well, all those issues
we will probably (!) encounter.

One thing to know is that TI-RPC is not a drop-in replacement for the glibc
version. At least, it now requires to link programs against -ltirpc. We
could try to mitigate this by providing appropriate symlinks, but is it
worth the effort?

So, what is your opinion on the subject?

libtirpc needs more to become drop in replacement into glibc provided rpc see my hacks

http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/eglibc-2.14

but IMO crosstool is just for toolchains so better leave this headache
to distros that will make ct-ng generate external toolchains to fit well
too

- do not provide RPC as a system component,
or:
- transition with TI-RPC.

[1] http://nfsv4.bullopensource.org/doc/tirpc_rpcbind.php (seems old)
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/libtirpc/ (seems current)