Re: Can not build flat shared library.

Gary, All,

On Thursday 31 March 2011 21:34:26 Gary Altenberg wrote:
> By the way when I build using the original configuration I sent you the
> tools build just fine and I can build and run uClinux on my ARM
> hardware. I was having problems with the applications but I am able to
> get some working. I even got the miniupnpc library to work in my
> application.

OK, so you do not need to u-comment the uclinux stuff.

> I just can't seem to get busybox and most of the
> applications that are in uClinux distribution to work. I keep getting:
>
> Unhandled fault: vector exception (0x800) at 0x00000000
> SIGSEGV
>
> In the case of miniupnpc it was using a -fPIC option that I removed and
> I also put in -march=armv4t and -mtune=arm7tdmi and now it runs. I tried
> that with busybox with no luck yet.

You can provide those architecture values when you build the toolchain:
  Target options  --->
    (armv4t) Architecture level
    (arm7tdmi) Tune for CPU

These provide tthe default -march and -mtune values, so you do not need to
specify them every time.

As for removing -fPIC, I do not really know what you should do... :-/

> So what benefit will there be in having CT_TARGET_KERNEL set to uclinux?

The kernel-part of the tuple instructs interested programs what kernel
will be running on the target. In your case, -linux is for systems that
use an MMU, while -uclinux is for systems that do not use an MMU.

Interested programs can them decide to do or not to do some stuff if
an MMU is present. For example, on noMMU, there is no fork(2), and
one must use vfork(2) instead. See the man page for vfork(2).

If it works for you with -linux, keep that.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.