Re: Final toolchain dir

If yes, is there a way to control that behavior so that it DOESN'T do
that?

Yes, there is a way. See: Paths and misc options ---> [*] Render the toolchain read-only

But, do you really, really need the toolchain to be writable? What for?
One purpose where I see this *might be* practical is when the toolchain is built for the sole purpose of completing a software image build and it then gets deleted. In this case it may seem "easier" to just build the whole image root there (I know it is tempting) otherwise one needs to copy the files needed from it in a separate location (i.e. /my-image-root). That is how I see it anyway.

I agree with you though - the toolchain should be read only and preserved clear not least because if there is some kind of error or fault during the image build and files get overwritten/deleted then the whole toolchain needs to be built again and that is a bit of a pain!