Re: ld: cannot find -lc

Yann,

> I installed a clean maverick-32 chroot, and with your .config (extracted
> from the build log), shared core cc builds OK here. It fails in glibc-2.7,
> though.
>
> glibc-2.7 is marked OBSOLETE, and I am not spending time fixing it. If you
> have a fix, then I will apply it, but I won't investigate myself.
>
> I upgraded to glibc-2.8, and the build completed.

Thanks for tracking this down!

I will try with glibc-2.8 and see if that works. If it does, then I
will try to find a fix for glibc-2.7

The reason I want to use glibc-2.7 is that I am targetting an embedded
Linux environment that already uses glibc-2.7, so I wanted to closely
replicate that in my toolchain.

>> You are the second one in a row to report issues on Ubuntu 10.10 aka
>> Maverick. And in both cases, I was unable to reproduce the error in a
>> clean install.
>
> Of course, that goes without saying, but I'd like more information on the
> issue, so we can try to fix it. I was in no way implying I was giving up!
>
> So, please provide a more detailed desciption of your setup.

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 using the CD image I downloaded from
ubuntu.com. I applied all the default patches it suggests after the
installation via its GUI package tool.

I then installed the following additional packages: gawk make bison
flex makeinfo texi2html texinfo automake libtool cvs curl
libncurses5-dev g++

I downloaded crosstool-ng 1.9.0, and configured it to build:

- gcc 4.2.4
- libc 2.7
- kernel 2.6.24.7
- target ARM, with the following CPU flag arm926ej-s

I started off from an existing ARM configuration for crosstool-ng, as
outlined in my original e-mail.

This is all running on a standard PC, with and AMD Athlon X2 processor.

Let me know if I can provide additional information on my setup.

Razvan.