Re: Patches for crosscompiling on Mac OS X

On Tuesday 09 November 2010 19:22:11 Geoffrey Lee wrote:
> On 2010/11/02, at 1:02, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > But LANG is not touched. Care to test with the attached patch, please? And
> > if you can manage to test before tonight GMT+1, then it can go in the next
> > stable 1.9.0. :-)
> So, I finally managed to get some time to rebuild the toolchain.
> (1) This patch fixes the Linux kernel header issue, thanks!

Thanks for testing.
Anyway, it already found its way into the repository, and 1.9.0 has it.

> (2) glibc rtld problem is gone, sed problem is gone, I must have done
> something dodgy.

Good.

> (3) I re-jigged the configuration and I've disabled the static libstdc++
> linking to avoid the static linking issue on Darwin.  Maybe better than
> it breaking as it currently does is to hide the config option when the
> build host is Darwin.

Hidding/showing menuconfig options depending on the host is not currently
handled. I am also concerned that this might turn into a hairball, where
every options might be subject to having a lot of dependencies...

If we were to have host-dependent options, then how should we handle them?

First, we'd need a generated .in file with a set of blind options for each
known hosts (eg. HOST_LINUX, HOST_CYGWIN...), and only the current one being
"default y". What about classes of equivalent hosts (eg. HOST_IS_LINUX_LIKE,
which would cover Linux and Cygwin)?

Then, should we use "depends on HOST_FOO" or "depends on ! HOST_FOO" ?
Or even a mix of them, eg. "depends on HOST_IS_LINUX_LIKE && ! HOST_CYGWIN" ?
That would be a mess to handle.

I'd prefer that we do not go that route for now. And even definitely.
Better that the user knows what (s)he is doing.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.