Re: can CTNG build an x86 (32bits) cross-toolchain on an amd64(64bits) workstation ?

Hi,

So I've been doing some experiments that I want to report to you guys.

<disclaimer>
I don't know a whole lot about canadian compilers, so probability that
I will say something stupid is fairly high.
But I'm willing to learn from my mistakes :-)
</disclaimer>

So my .config file has the following values set:
CT_CANADIAN=y
CT_TOOLCHAIN_TYPE="canadian"
CT_HOST="i686-linux-gnu"
CT_HOST_PREFIX=""
CT_HOST_SUFFIX=""

When running ct-ng build, it exits with an error:
[DEBUG]    'x86_64-build_pc-linux-gnu-strip' -> '/usr/bin/strip'
[DEBUG]  ==> Executing: 'chmod 700
/usr/src/CTNG/crosstool-ng/x-tools/arm-sbgcc45-linux-gnueabi/buildtools/x86_64-build_pc-linux-gnu-strip'
[DEBUG]    Missing: 'x86_64-linux-gnu-windres' or
'x86_64-linux-gnu-windres' or 'windres' : not required.
[ERROR]  Missing: 'i686-linux-gnu-ar' or 'i686-linux-gnu-ar' or 'ar' :
either needed!
make: *** [build] Error 1

What I'm understanding is that in the script scripts/crosstool-NG.sh,
in the 'for' loop around ${install_build_tools_for}, it tries to
locate various tools. Of course, it can't find the 32bits versions of
the tools as they have not be compiled, nor installed by other means.

I have the nagging feeling that I am grossly missing something out ...

Any thoughts would be hugely welcome,

thanks all,

--Frederic