Re: -mfloat-abi=softfp

On 04/27/10 15:21, Martin Guy wrote:
On 4/27/10, ng@piments.com<ng@piments.com> wrote:
Uptil now I was using -march=armv4t , setting it ep9312 fails on 4.2.4

[ALL ] /back/ts/ct-ng/targets/src/gcc-4.2.4/gcc/crtstuff.c:1: warning: target CPU does not support interworking [ALL ] Assembler messages: [ALL ] Error: unknown architecture `ep9312' [ALL ] [ALL ] Error: unrecognized option -march=ep9312

THat's not GCC. That's the assembler (binutils).

Thanks , I've just got your email about comsic rays ;)

I'd already realised that part of the reason for the seg fauilts looks like it was hardware instability. I ran some stress tests (other than ct-ng :P ) and it tripped out as well.

I've lowered the system clock and that seems to have stabilised it for now , until I have time to strip it down.

However, I did still have _repeatable_ seg faults as I reported in an earlier post.

Yeah, this whole area is a pain.  Can you drop the empty -march switch
and use -mcpu-ep9312? That's the only combinatin that seems to work
with GCC and the assembler

That's it !

I dropped all use of -march and only use ep9312 rather than armv4t

 LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS=-mfpu=maverick -mfloat-abi=softfp  -mcpu=ep9312
CT_ARCH_CPU = ep9312

I had to move to starce-4.5.19 as well because of headers. I now have managed to configure ct-ng to build a nice new crunchy toolchain.

It remains to see if it can produce useful code....

thanks again for your help and guidance.

best regards.

  Could this relate to the -march= switch message I was getting before. Is
some other stage deciding this is invalid and replacing it with a null
string?

If ther is an empty -march or -march=armv4t it's probably best not to have *any* -march flag. You may have to hack crosstool-ng to achieve this, I don't know.