Re: Crosstool-NG build produces all the tools except the compiler

Hi Mitch,

2010/4/19 Mitch Frazier <mitch@comwestcr.com>:

>> I'm trying to build an m68k-unknown-elf toolchain that will run on a
>> Windows system.  I'm building it on openSUSE 11.2.
>>
>> I've installed the mingw cross compiler on my openSUSE system and
>> created a crosstool-NG configuration for a Canadian cross:
>>
>>   Build on openSUSE
>>   Host on  Windows
>>   Target   m68k
>>
> p.s. I did successfully build the m68k-unknown-elf toolchain which runs
> on Linux and include it in the PATH when I try to build the Windows
> toolchain.

You did nothing wrong... Unfortunately the canadian build is not yet
supported in Crosstool-ng.
Recently I posted a series of 19 patches that made it possible to
build exactly that what you need.
(http://old.nabble.com/-CT-NG%3Apatch-00-19--Series-for-several-new-toolchains-and-canadian--support-td28196591.html)

These series of patches have been partially applied while it was
tested as a whole, some rework is pending on some other patches.
What did not help us though is that during the process of getting
these series to be applied several other patches got merged in that
had a huge impact on our series, with as result that we now do not
have a working a set of patches on top of ct-ng mainline.

Further, before we can continue with this series we need to wait on
Yann since he mentioned that he did not like the way we implemented
certain parts and that he would provide an alternative implementation
himself. Although this sounds good, it effectively pushed us out of
the game... I hope Yann has a good suggestion how to continue from
here and speed things up...

So, for the short term, if you need to have a toolchain quickly I
would suggest to use hg to checkout the crosstool-ng tree and get to
the status of the tree of about 9 april 2010 and apply the 19-patch
series I posted. I rebased the patch-series to the snapshot just
minutes before going public with the series, so it will apply on that
snapshot.

I also noticed you used the mingw cross compiler of your distribution.
Inside this series also support was added to build a mingw cross
compiler toolchain with crosstool-ng itself ;-)

P.S. we also have a working tree (based on the status of 9 april 2010)
that even supports cross-native compilations ;-)

Kind regards,

Remy