Re: ct-ng: question regards cross-native toolchain

Daniel, All,

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 21:15:29 Daniel Dittmann wrote:
> in buildroot there is a possibility to create a target gcc (a native gcc
> in a development target system).
> In ct-ng is a toolchain option named "CROSS-NATIVE". I know its not
> implemented at the moment, but could anyone please explain what this
> feature should do? Is that the same like the target gcc in buildroot?

Yes: what buildroot calls "toolchain on the target" is what crosstool-NG
calls "cross-native". This is a toolchain where:
  build != host == target

As you discovered, this is currently not supported, as neither I nor
others had the need for a toolchain on our targets.

This is a particular case of the canadian-cross, and as canadian is
already there, there should be no hard-blocker to add cross-native.

If you are willing to add and test such support :

- build standard cross-compiler for your target
- look at scripts/crosstool-ng.sh.in
- at around line 333, add a case entry, smthg like:
    cross-native)
        CT_HOST="${CT_TARGET}"
        build_mangle="build_"
        # Mangling CT_HOST should not be needed
        # If it is, use: host_mangle="host_"
        host_mangle=""
        # It might be in fact that CT_TARGET is to be
        # mangled instead of, or along with CT_HOST.
        # If it is, use: target_mangle="target_"
        target_mangle=""
        # No need to install tools for 'host',
        # they are the same as for 'target'
        install_build_tools_for="BUILD TARGET"
        ;;
- at around line 437, duplicate the canadian case

Try. :-]   Keep us informed. :-)
Of course, install the cross-native in another place than the standard
cross-compiler.

Then you'll have to handle the case in:
- scripts/saveSample.sh
- scripts/showSample.sh.in
- samples/samples.mk  # That one is tricky! :-p
(But we can see those three afterwards...)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.