Re: Option missing?

Hello Ioannis!
Hello All!

[Please, copy the crossgcc ML, so the issue and its resolution go
 to the archives.]

On Monday 16 November 2009 21:36:55 Ioannis E. Venetis wrote:
> In a previous snapshot of crosstool-ng I found an option to use a
> released tarball of glibc 2.9. However, I cannot seem to find this
> option in the latest snapshot of crosstool-ng. It seems that when one
> uses glibc 2.9 he is tied to use the latest snapshot from their CVS
> (which takes ages to be downloaded).

Yep. cvs checkouts take ages. Moreover, we should now use git. I /plan/
to change that in the coming weeks...

> I searched a bit the mailing list, but could not find anything about
> this. Did you remove it on purpose or by mistake? If it was on purpose,
> why?

For some time, there was no tarballs for the glibc 2.8+. Then someone
finally roled them out, but left out the tarballs for ports. Then they
were available again. Now that 1.11 is out, the ports tarball is again
missing.

So if you select the ports addon in your configuration, crosstool-NG
imposes the cvs checkout. I know that the tarballs were available prior
to the 1.5.0 release, but I had no time (I forgot) to check for this,
and the 1.5 series were rolled out with this restriction. :-(

Note, however, that the development branch no longer imposes the cvs
checkout, and allows using released tarballs, even if the ports addon
is selected. [1]

For now, crosstool-NG does not yet include support for glibc 2.11, so
there's no problem. When I add glibc-2.11, I will no longer impose the
cvs checkout, and the download will fail if ports is selected and no
tarball is vailable upstream. This will be the reponsibility of the
end-user to either:
 - demand[2] the glibc maintainer(s) to roll out proper tarballs; or,
 - select cvs (or git when it's ready) checkout, and suffer stoically.
Of course, I'd suggest the first option! ;-p

Sorry for the inconvenience. :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

[1] Oh, and now they're using the shinny new XZutils! Yeah! 30% time
less to downloads!

[2] Yes, I do mean *demand*. I think this is a reasonable claim to get
release tarballs. Eventually, someone will shout loud enough, and all
the bully boys will quietly go back to the classroom... ;-]

YEM.