Re: Packaging crosstool-ng

Hello Oron!

Sorry for the delay, I was away at ELC-E this week, and only
came back home tonight.

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 10:46:18 Oron Peled wrote:
> I've started packaging CT-NG for Fedora. The current results
> are in http://oron.fedorapeople.org/crosstool-ng

Hey! Nice! :-)

> Checking the results with rpmlint, I did some cleanups:
> 1. The populate script was configured during toolchain build.
>    I moved most of this to configuration time, like other .in
>    files. The only thing that's still postponed to toolchain build
>    is CT_TARGET substitution.
>    This change is contained in the attached patch.

Nothing really wrong with the patch, except that I would prefer that we
mangle populate in a single place. And becasue CT_TARGET is not known at
that time, we should keep the whole mangling to where it is now. Unless
you come with a reason better than 'rpmlint complains', which I don't
buy.

OTOH, it's not the only .in file that gets isntalled: the tools wrapper is
also installed as .in, and then copied at the end of the toolchain build
(although the wrapper is not mangled). Maybe we need to find a naming scheme
for files that are mangled at crosstool-NG installation, and another scheme
for files that are mangled when the toolchain is built.

Anyway, next time, please submit a Mercurial patch. This keeps attribution,
history, and is easier to manage. Please have a look at the documentation,
section "Contributing".

> 2. Two scripts have 644 permissions instead of 755:
>      /usr/share/ct-ng-1.4.2/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh
>      /usr/share/ct-ng-1.4.2/kconfig/check-gettext.sh
>    I changed it in my package, but IMO it should be done in the
>    upstream tarball.

Hmmm. Lemme see... No, they are called from the kconfig/kconfig.mk
makefile fragment with: $(shell $(SHELL) blabla...)
So they need not be executable.

I remember that they previously were executables, but directly calling
them was failing on some systems, so I reverted to calling for the shell
to interpret them, and expressly removed the x-bit.

> 3. There are other 3 "scripts" with 644 perms:
>      /usr/share/ct-ng-1.5.0/scripts/toolchain-config.in
>      /usr/share/ct-ng-1.5.0/scripts/build/debug/duma.in
>      /usr/share/ct-ng-1.5.0/scripts/wrapper.in
>    I didn't change their permissions, as they are actually
>    templates used to generate scripts. Just making them
>    executable to silence rpmlint does not seem right to me.

Nope. They are source files, execpt they contain script code.

>    Hmmm.... re-thinking of this, the populate script also
>    belong to the same category, so maybe I shouldn't have
>    made it executable in the new Makefile.

Yep. On the whole, I think that rpmlint is wrong here.

Thanks for taking the burden to try and package crosstool-NG! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.