Re: ct-ng build fails with 'make[1]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1'

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Yann E.
MORIN<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> Godmar,
> All,
>
> On Monday 07 September 2009 16:04:32 Godmar Back wrote:
>> It's explained there; still, it's not intuitive. I don't usually read
>> "Help" entries unless I think the label given to the option applies to
>> me. ?Perhaps make the label more informative to make clear that the
>> options influence the ability to run on all kernels?
>
> I thought that "Minimum supported kernel version" was explicit enough.
> What would you suggest instead (keep it short)?

That's not the confusing part, though this label could, perhaps, be
made more clear by saying "Minimum supported target kernel version" to
make clear it's the target that's being talked about.

The more confusing issue IMO is one level below that one, where it says:

Let ./configure decide
Same as kernel headers (default)
Specific kernel version

None of these three options imply that support for all kernels is
provided. For the first one, the Help doesn't say, btw, *how*
configure makes that decision. The label "Let ./configure decide" did
not make me look in the Help to learn that this provides support for
all kernels. Perhaps change to "Support all compatible kernels" or
something like that?

The third option "Specific kernel version" makes it sound as though
only this version is supported. Perhaps change to: "Choose minimum
target kernel version"?

 - Godmar