Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit android toolchain?

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> Robert,
> All,
>
> On Wednesday 20 May 2009 18:36:37 Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > before i make a fool of myself on the beagleboard mailing list,
> > i'll ask the toolchain experts here.  there's a downloadable
> > toolchain for android,
>
> Unless you really want to run Android on the BeagleBoard, there's no
> connection between those two. IIRC, BB uses OpenEmbedded as their
> "distribution", so you don't need the "Android" toolchain: OE will
> build its own toolchain, or you have the option to build your own
> (say, with crosstool-NG!) and feed that to OE.
>
> > /home/rpjday/beagle/android/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc:
> > /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> Installing the 32-bit compatibility libraries would be my first
> suggestion. On debian, it's called 'ia32-libs'. Not sure how it's
> called on Fedora.

  a short followup on this post -- the ARM toolchain i'm talking about
is downloadable from here:

  http://www.embinux.com/download_toolchain.php

but to get it to work on my x86_64 installation of fedora 11, there
were two issues i had to resolve.

1) simple compile went looking for /lib/ld-linux.so.2, so i had to
install the "glibc.i686" 32-bit compatibility package.  no big deal.

2) i had to install the toolchain under /opt since installing it under
my personal home directory (which i like to do to avoid needing root
access) generated:

/home/rpjday/beagle/android/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.2.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld:
cannot find /opt/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/lib/libc.so.6 collect2: ld
returned 1 exit status

which tells me that the toolchain is not relocatable.  which is kind
of annoying.  surely it's not hard to create relocatable toolchains
these days, is it?  in any event, once i moved it to /opt, i got a
successful compile of "hi, world".

  has anyone gone to the trouble of creating an equivalent toolchain
using crosstool-ng?  if i get the time, i'll try it but i was
wondering if anyone else has been there already?  thanks.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday