Re: m68k Toolchain issues

J Silverman wrote:
Hi All,

I'm using the most recent crosstools to make a m68k toolchain. It compiles successfully and I then go about using it to compile a Macintosh bootloader called EMILE (http://emile.sourceforge.net/). When it reaches an assembly source file, it dies with an odd error:

make -C first TARGET=m68k-linux
as -I/home/g1powermac/Desktop/emile-0.12/first --defsym SCSI_SUPPORT=1 -o first_scsi.o first.S
[SNIP]

It's as if the assembler doesn't recognize the m68k assembly code. Does anyone know the reason why this is happening?

Your suspicions are correct.

1) It seems you are invoking the "host" version of "as" - and not the target verion of as., for arm that might be: arm-elf-as, I'm not sure of the correct name for your target, ie: m68k-elf-as

The "un-adorned" name "as" is always the host version.

2) It seems - I do not have your makefile in front of me - the Makefile is not invoking "GCC" to assemble the .S file. By convention, .(little-s) is assembler, and .(captial-S) is first ran through the C pre-processor. That convention might not hold for the Makefiles you are working with.

-Duane