Re: crosstool-043 errors

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Jonathan and Caroline Moore
<jandcmoore@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone able to help me with Dan's crosstool?
>
>  <rant>
>  Why is it so hard to get cross compiling working I can't seem to find
>  even a basic howto explaining how to get things going and seemingly
>  any combination I try generates an error - even now with crosstool
>  which is supposed to fix this. I'd like to use open source tools but
>  this is seemingly impossible. Sorry to rant but this kind of thing
>  really puts my bosses off supporting open source development. Even the
>  FAQ link on the crossgcc mailing list page is broken.
>   </rant>
>
>  Jonathan

>   On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Jonathan and Caroline Moore
>   <jandcmoore@gmail.com> wrote:
>   > Dan two more errors for you.
>   >
>   > I am trying to build a 3.2/3.3 or 3.4 gcc so I can build an hc11 cross
>   > compiler (my host 4.1.1 gcc doesn't like binutils-2.15 so I can't use it). I
>   > thought crosstool might help. http://www.gnu.org/software/m68hc11/
>   >
>   >

You want to build an older compiler for your host that you can then
use to build a 68HC11 cross compiler?  That would be a native compiler
not a cross compiler, so crosstool isn't what you want.  I think it
should be as simple as:

$ tar xjr gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz
$ cd gcc-3.4.6
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc346
$ make && make install

Then set your $PATH to find the older compiler first and build your
cross compiler as usual.