Re: Trying to get crosstool-0.43 to work on Solaris 9

Alexander Skwar wrote:

getandpatch.sh: syntax error at line 95: `;' unexpected

Line 95 is the "for arg; do" in the following:

    set -x
    # Check to see if the tarball already exists
    exists=""
    for arg; do
        case $arg in
        *.gz|*.bz2|*.tgz) ;;
        *) abort "unknown suffix on url $arg" ;;
        esac

According to "man ksh", "for arg; do" is correct syntax.

Ah! In all.sh, "sh getandpatch.sh" is invoked. sh on Solaris 9 does
not seem to recognize this syntax. After changing changing line 123
from "sh getandpatch.sh" to "ksh getandpatch.sh", all is fine.

And neither does bash on solaris for some reason.

If you search the archives, you should find a post
from me with this as well, though I was doing
solaris -> ppc.

My fix was to not hardcode sh, and use the
env variable $SHELL in the crosstool scripts.
On Solaris, I had success with ksh as you did.

I already asked Dan to pick that stuff up for
the next version of crosstool changes.

A bit later, I stumbled over the following problem:

+ test -n
+ cd /export/home/askwar/cross-compile/crosstool-0.43/build/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.3.6
+ echo hmm maybe cd
hmm maybe cd
Usage: tar {txruc@}[vfbFXhiBEelmopwnq[0-7]] [-k size] [tapefile] [blocksize] [exclude-file] [-I include-file] files ...
cannot unpack /home/askwar/downloads/gdb-6.5.tar.bz2

Problem is, that "tar" is the SUN tar. For starters, it does not know
about the "-z" or "-j" options. In line 141 and 143, I exchanged tar
with gtar, and all is well. Another more portable fix would be to not
rely on GNUisms, but use something like "gzip -cd $TARBALLS_DIR/$ARCHIVE_NAME | tar $VERBOSE -xf -"
instead.

Sending this for the sake of the archive - and maybe it might be a
good idea, to fix this in upcoming releases of crosstool?

You might also hit this with sed later on as well, you need gnu sed (named sed) in your path first before /bin/sed.

-David