RE: Possibly OT: GCC 2.96 on PPC for VxWorks 5.5

On 14 June 2006 14:38, Paul Smith wrote:

>   dk> Maybe someone else has a copy and would let you get a copy from
>   dk> them.
>
> That would be ideal.  I was half hoping someone on this list might have
> one...  I am using *a* version of the WRS 2.96 compiler I found on the
> 'net but obviously the source I have is not identical to the Solaris
> compiler I'm using.

  OK, looks like you do need to refresh your memory of the GPL after all.
Your right to a copy of the source is against the people you got the binary
from; if you got it from someone other than WRS, it is *those* people who owe
you a copy of the source.  Go back to them.

  Seriously.  How on earth can you expect anyone on the list to know if
they've got the source to the *same* compiler as you if you just got it from
some random website and haven't mentioned that fact before?  What use would it
do for someone to send you a copy of the WRS sources if we have no idea
whether that's what was used to build the binary you've got because you didn't
get it from WRS?  The only possible way to have any confidence that the
sources you've got correspond to the binary you've been using is if you get
them from the same source.

> So, I guess it comes down to either (a) keep looking for the exact
> compiler version as on Solaris, or (b) upgrade both Linux and Solaris to
> the same version of the compiler.  I do have another 2.96 version I
> found; it reports this version:
>
>     gcc version gcc-2.96 (2.96+ MW/LM) 19990621 AltiVec VxWorks 5.5
>     30526 65115 [...]

  Look, will you just stop that!  You keep on going and getting new and
unknown binaries without telling anyone where they came from and you hope
we'll know what they are?  For god's sake, next time you download one,
DOWNLOAD THE SOURCE AT THE SAME TIME FROM THE SAME PLACE!

    cheers,
      DaveK