Re: !(fun) with tls

NZG schrieb:
On Friday 02 June 2006 12:32 pm, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
(It's not clear to me why you're cross-compiling instead of
compiling natively inside a chroot; perhaps if you explain the
motivation I can be more specific.)
The goal is to release a build system which allows customers to easily develop applications for our SBC's distribution.

I went the cross compiler route because I am somewhat familiar with building cross-gcc's for different architectures (Coldfire and HCS12) so I figured building one for our SBC's would be easy and useful.

I now see that I didn't know what I was talking about.

I don't know what the poster ment by 'native'. Sure a 686 can run a 586 set of code, but
definately, there are problems with compiling for a x86 target even when the host is
a x86, but not the same type.

My most recent experience with this was using a VIA Tech 586-ish processor, and my
686 host generated illegal instructions. Hence I was required to set up a 586 cross-compilation
and compile everything in the world needed, so that I could reasonably guarentee that
the code generated did not have any illegal for that x86 implementation code.

For really different architectures, the problems are even worse. See my posts on
the topic of 'configure' problems and attempting to run 'target code' on the cross-compiler
host.

In terms of your problem, I have not tried to 'mix and match' libraries. In the past I have set up
an x86 host for an arm target. I used 'crosstools' to generate the gcc/glibc basic environment.

The 'glibc' implmentation has a number of subsiderary libraries which all have to be at the same
level or problems arise.

If you are including a debian binary package which was built against a different version or differently
configured version of glibc, perhaps one or more of these auxillary libraries is out of sync with
the debian build.

If I were to use 'debian' and wanted to use gcc for the cross compiler, I'd probably create the full
debian lib hierarchy, along with the full include hierarchy, then set up the gcc-cross pointing
to these directories for the libraries and include files, and not use 'glibc' generated by the crosstools
setup.

John Clark