Re: init hang after upgrading ARM-Linux toolchain

On 5/19/06, Creech, Matthew L <MatthewLCreech@eaton.com> wrote:
As far as I can tell, BusyBox doesn't include ldconfig.  But I shouldn't
really need it if all my libraries are in /lib, right?  (Maybe I'm
misunderstanding something)

Sorry, I'm an idiot; ldconfig is packaged with glibc nowadays, and probably was never part of BusyBox. I think you will need ldconfig, ld.so, and the ld-linux.so.3 symlink from build-glibc/elf, in addition to the various .so's and .so.[1-9]'s from build-gcc and build-glibc. ld.so needs the cache and symlinks that ldconfig creates based on the instructions in /etc/ld.so.conf. (I usually build initrds using Debian mechanisms, so I'm a little hazy on what absolutely has to be in there; Debian initrds usually have a shell script as /sbin/init, which does various modprobes and mounts and then pivots onto the real root and invokes the real init.)

Note that ldconfig doesn't have to be in the initrd, but it has to be
run on the contents of the initrd to create ld.so.cache.  (I think.)
I'll be more precise about this once I've redone the initrd mess here;
it looks like ldconfig gets run on our initrd contents only as a side
effect of installing other libraries, and ptxdist (as of the old
version we used previously) doesn't run it explicitly.  Can any actual
experts comment hre?

Cheers,
- Michael