init hang after upgrading ARM-Linux toolchain

Hi,

I'm using a 2.6.16 kernel on an AT91 ARM board.  With all the positive
reports recently of people using gcc-4/EABI/NTPL, I decided to make a
clean break and try my luck with a new toolchain.  I applied Michael
Edwards' variation on Martin Guy's patch to crosstool-0.42:

http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2006-04/msg00187.html

This toolchain produced a [seemingly] working kernel, but the system
would hang after "freeing init memory".  I re-built the
gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.4 toolchain for an "arm-linux" target (non-EABI) to
see if that would help isolate the problem.  The new toolchain exhibits
the same behavior as the old one, so EABI doesn't seem to be the
problem, as far as I can tell.

I found that I can switch back to my old gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.5 toolchain
and compile a static "Hello world" init, and things work fine regardless
of which kernel I use (one built with the old [gcc-3.4.4] toolchain or
one built with the new [gcc-4.1.0] toolchain).  But building init with
the new toolchain produces a non-working system, also regardless of
which kernel I use.

Now I'm at a loss where to look next; since nothing seems to happen with
my static init, I can't really tell where the problem lies (bad glibc,
FP problem, or whatever).  Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I
can do to narrow this down?  Or even better, has anyone else bumped into
this pre-init hang with a gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.4 toolchain and found that
something else needs to be done for things to work?

FYI, I tried this same procedure with CodeSourcery's 2006q1 toolchain
(with CONFIG_AEABI enabled), and it doesn't work either, so I think I'm
just missing something else that needs to change when moving to GCC4, or
to NPTL, or something like that.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

--
Matthew L. Creech