Re: gcc and -fvisibility=hidden

On 4/30/06, Robert Lippmann <rlippmann@hotmail.com> wrote:
I just don't trust recent versions of gcc.  i'm running stable for
a reason.

I have to say, gcc-4.1.0 appears to be rock-solid. It's the best .0 release I've seen from the gcc team ever.

(That doesn't mean it's easy to switch to; it's a lot pickier
about syntax errors, and you probably need to use
-fno-strict-aliasing when first porting to it to avoid exposing
subtle aliasing bugs in the apps you're building.
http://kegel.com/gcc/gcc4.html might help people trying to switch.)

Yes, it appears so, don't see that many patches for the actual build of 4.1 in gentoo. As for bugs filed because packages won't compile with gcc 4.1...

As for 3.4.5, yikes! The default gentoo builds have tons of patches. Plus, they have SSP and PIE enabled by default. Might be better to just have portage build up the patched sources and manually copy and build on the targets instead of using crosstool.

If the Sparc boxen weren't so old, I'd consider using Linux zones, but they're Ultra 5s and 10s.

And doing user supplied ports of portage for cygwin and solaris + crossdev, *shudder*, that looks nasty.

So, in summary, I think it's time to shelve distcc and abandon crosstool for a while until I can get this working (or gentoo goes up to 4.1 and/or crosstool supports SSP & PIE).

-- rob