Re: gcc and -fvisibility=hidden

On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:55, Robert Lippmann wrote: > unfortunately, i'm using distcc as a compile farm for my gentoo box, and > gentoo uses 3.4.5, so i can't really switch to 4.x.

Gentoo has 3.4.5 marked as the stable compiler but there's no reason you cant
install 4.0.2/4.0.3/4.1.0 as all versions are in portage

true, but i just don't trust recent versions of gcc. i'm running stable for a reason.

> will file a bug in gentoo, to either get the flags removed, or to at least
> post the workaround (ie, don't distcc it).

dont bother, we dont like this sort of cruft

we know there are issues with forcing visibility flags into global CFLAGS and
we arent about to hack around it by filtering in a ton of ebuilds
-mike

too late, i already did. i didn't force the CFLAGS, they were enabled by default. it's not an issue of filtering. if there are known problems with visibility, the flags shouldn't be set by a package by default, and should be an option.

but, this belongs on a gentoo list now...

-- rob