Re: glibc-2.4 released (was: Re: never mind: no linuxthreads in glibc-2.4)

> > > For immediate testing with crosstool < 0.43 you can simply set
> > > GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.4
> > > GLIBC_THREADS_FILENAME=glibc-ports-2.4
> > Clever / lucky!

and wrong (sorry folks!) cos you have to "mv glibc-ports-XXXX ports"
too as I found out when I tried to run it.
I have modified crosstool to support GLIBCPORTS_FILENAME and am
testing it as I write. If it seems to work on the 3 variants I'm
trying (glibc-2.3.6, glibc-2.3-200* snapshot and glibc-2.4) I'll post
the patches.

THis also lets you use glibc-2.3 snapshots, which require the ports adding.

> > * making GLIBC_THREADS_FILENAME optional, and if it's missing,
> >   we don't try to unpack it
At present the scripts add the corresponding version if it's missing.
I am afraid to change this 'cos I don't want to risk breaking other
builds that I can't test. However, that makes sense to me: embedding
such knowledge in the .dat files, not inside crosstool's scripts.

> > * requiring GLIBC_PORTS_FILENAME to be set if we want the ports
> >   addon loaded
Yep, that's the one! Actually, you *have* to do it like that 'cos both
getandpatch.sh and crosstool.sh need to see it, so it had to come down
from above. I tried autoadding it if glibc >=2.4, but that would
happen inside getandpatch.sh, which means the variable does not
propagate to crosstool.sh where the knowledge is needed

> > It's tempting to look at regularizing how glibc addons are handled in crosstool,
There only seem to be 3: old crypt, ports and threads.

> what are the chances of getting a high-level overview of the
> consequences of dropping linuxthreads from glibc-2.4?
Linuxthreads addon is redundant if glibc >= 2.4 since thread support
is included inside glibc now.