Re: crosstool-0.40 preview

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 11:25:12AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Note I didn't say how to achieve it :-)

:-P

> > I would have no problem to build things in a consistent way, because I
> > can easily configure PTXdist to do it in such a way. But I understand
> > that people want to do things like arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-gcc foo.c and
> > expect a.out to run on "their" systems.
> >
> > So the question is: what should toolchains do by default, when no
> > -m*float* argument is given?
>
> Whoever builds the toolchain (in this case, ptxdist) just needs to pick
> a default value for -mfpu and -msoft-float, right?

Well, the toolchain is built by crosstool :-)

When you have _some_ toolchain and add correct -mfpu and -msoft-float
switches, everything is fine. The question is what to do if not. And...

> > Should we build
> >         arm-softvfp-linux-gnu
> >         arm-softfpa-linux-gnu
> > toolchains?
>
> Not a bad idea.

... how to configure gcc in a sane way to get that default behaviour.

> Which combinations are likely to get used in the real world?

Note that not only floating point behaviour has to be confiured, we also
have abi vs. eabi, little vs. big endian. We might end up with things
like

	arm-softvfp-eabi-le-linux-gnu-gcc

:-(

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9