Re: gcc 4.0.x arm softfloat difficulties

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:14:15PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

> > I can't really imagine that gcc 4.0.x arm softfloat doesn't work at all
> > or that nobody is using it, so maybe someone here has an idea what to do
> > before I proceed to plod on?
>
>   So just out of curiosity (here's where I either say something very
> very stupid or solve the problem for you), if old versions of gcc didn't
> have soft float, and you've taken a new version of gcc, and tried to
> add soft float, and got an error from having _two_ versions of the
> softfloat functions ...
>
>  ... doesn't that mean that someone else has _already_ added soft float
> to gcc, sometime between 3.3 and 4.0.1, and your patch was unneccessary?

gcc 3.4 comes with softfloat support, but needs the patch that I quoted
to prevent it from giving an error about undefined symbols.  The end
product works fine.

gcc 4.0 also comes with softfloat support, but doesn't work without the
patch (gives an error about undefined symbols) nor with the patch (gives
an error about duplicate symbols.)

cheers,
Lennert