Newbie questions - compiling Linux exes on Windows OS

Hi all,

I somehow managed to stumble upon this mailing list
after researching how to create unix/linux executables
from my Windows OS. The reasons are as follows. I want
to recreate the simple c/cgi "multiplying" script as
shown here:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/cgic.html

Problem is, my host uses a linux/unix based operating
system, and my compiler (Mingw) will only compile
windows exes on my windows OS. I have questions :)

1: Am I right in saying Mingw is just the windows
version of the unix GCC compiler?

2: I found the file "mingw32-linux-x86-glibc-2.3.tar.gz"
at the following page:
http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/README.txt
Is this what I need to help me compile linux exes?

3: On the aforementioned README.txt URL, there were
scripts with the suffix '.sh'. I can't run these on
windows by double clicking on them. Are they meant for
windows, or am I doing something else wrong?

4: Once I execute that script, hopefully I'll be ready
to compile sparkling linux exes. Do I use the same
mingw compiler as before with an extra option set such
as "-linux"? Or would I use a new compiler?

5: If I were to use perl instead of C/C++, would I need
to compile then? (I doubt it). In which case, how much
faster is using C/C++ over perl in terms of latency and
raw CPU power?

6: Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help, and it's great that a
place like this exists for newbies like me :)

Cheers, Daniel