Re: is that "install glibc headers" step in crosstool necessary?

Robert:

the comments in crosstool.sh for that step seem to imply that it's
not really clear if that step is required, so i did a quick test. i
configured my mini-ct script to build for powerpc and commented out
the entire glibc headers step.

You have to exhaustively test across all gcc versions and targets. It was necessary for some ppc versions (at least) at one point. If it isn't now, then things are much-improved.

The fact that it doesn't seem necessary anymore suggests that we should at least provide a developer-level option to skip it. The easier we can provide evidence to the gcc guys that their release are/aren't bootstrap-able, the more likely they'll stay bootstrap-able.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com