crosstool bloat

I'm having some trouble with crosstool-0.38. Almost a year ago, we had successfully used version 0.28-rc36 to build a gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3 toolchain for mipsel. It worked like a champ. Now, I'm trying to use the latest crosstool to build another mipsel toolchain. The build seems to work, but when I compile anything with the resulting compiler, all my output files are suddenly quite huge -- anything that would have compiled very small with 0.28 (eg. a 5k binary under 0.28) is now right around 68k, consistently, with 0.38. I simply ran "sh ./demo-mipsel.sh" after editing the script to create the desired build.

Any idea what may be causing the executables to be so large? I can't recall what I had done in the installation for 0.28 to make the binaries be "normal". Is there an easy way to figure out what is getting included into my builds?

Thanks.

David Karlton