Re: Cygwin and crosstool! (vmlinux.lds.asm problem with 2.6.12.5 case-insensitive build patch from crosstool)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:59:42AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

Can I use this one?

"Did you happen to notice who you're responding to?"

If you add this code then you have to sprinkle understanding of it to
every function which manipulates files on the disk.  You'll have to
detect when it is possible to use it and when it isn't.  You'll be
adding overhead and, unlike the horribly ugly, and terrifically slow
(and did I mention that it reduces the number of characters available
for filenames! Yes! It's true) code for managed mode, you'll be adding
code almost everywhere cygwin manipulates files on disk.

>>I would definitely complain about creating files that can't be deleted
>>by normal windows utilities, as has also been mentioned.  We already
>>suffered a bout of that when we switched to using NtCreateFile a while
>>ago and accidentally allowed the creation of "special" files like "nul"
>>and "com1" on NTFS disks.  It surely confused users.  That would be
>>ameliorated by making it a specific mount option but I'm sure we'd
>>still get complaints.
>
>We could always make it an undocumented secret option!
>
>>Oh, and maybe I missed this but, while I'm at it, someone should also
>>mention that they don't like managed mode because it's easier to run
>>into Windows file name length limit.  That has been mentioned enough
>>that I've asked to make it a FAQ.
>
>Ooh, good point.

Another good point is that managed mode reduces the file name length.
Don't forget about that.  Don't *ever* forget about that.

cgf